Protecting Your Privacy
WangNET is committed to providing you with the highest levels of customer service. This includes protecting your privacy. WangNET is bound by the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 and its amendments, which sets out a number of principles concerning the protection of your personal information.
Set out below is information that WangNET is required to communicate to our customers. We recommend that you keep this information for future reference.
WangNET provides a range of web services, either through a particular division within WangNET or through one of our related enterprises.
Your personal information
Personal information held by WangNET may include your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses, telephone/mobile phone number, email address, bank account or credit card details, occupation, driver’s licence number and your WangNET customer number, username or password. We also hold details of your WangNET services (including their status), as well as certain details about your personal interests.
If you choose not to provide us with certain personal information (e.g. your date of birth), we may not be able to provide you with the services you require, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves.
We will make every endeavour to hold secure all your personal data in a way that meets or exceeds applicable standards.
Occasionally, you may need to provide personal information about other individuals to WangNET (e.g. about your authorised representatives). If so, we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to WangNET and advise them that we can be contacted for further information (see ‘How to contact us’ below).
How we collect personal information
WangNET collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- Directly from you, when you provide information by phone or in application forms, or when you submit your personal details to us through our websites;
- From third parties such as our related companies, credit reporting agencies or your representatives;
- From publicly available sources of information;
- From the organisations identified below under ‘When we disclose your personal information’;
- From our own records of how you use your WangNET services; or
- When legally required to do so
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used to:
- verify your identity;
- assist you to subscribe to our services;
- provide the services you require;
- administer and manage those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- inform you of ways the services provided to you could be improved;
- conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- research and develop our services;
- gain an understanding of your information and communication needs in order for us to provide you with a better service;
- and maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems.
Also, your personal information is collected so WangNET can promote and market its services to you. We do this to keep you informed of our products, services and special offers. If you do not wish WangNET to promote and market its products, services and special offers to you, please call (03) 5722 9322. In relation to marketing and promotional material sent via email, we will send such material only if you have filled in an Official Application Form for any of our Internet Related Services, with the option to opt-out of these promotional offers at any time by emailing email@example.com .
When we disclose your personal information
In order to deliver the services you require, WangNET may disclose your personal information to organisations outside WangNET. Your personal information is disclosed to these organisations only in relation to WangNET providing our services to you. These organisations may carry out our:
- customer enquiries;
- mailing operations;
- billing and debt-recovery functions;
- information technology services;
- installation, maintenance and repair services;
- marketing and telemarketing services;
- market research;
- and web site usage analysis.
WangNET takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information to:
- your authorised representatives or your legal advisers (e.g. when requested by you to do so);
- credit-reporting and fraud-checking agencies;
- credit providers (for credit related purposes such as credit-worthiness, credit rating, credit provision and financing);
- our related enterprises;
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- other internet service providers (for example, if you obtain services from other providers, we may need to disclose your personal information for billing purposes);
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law; and
- organisations who manage our business and corporate strategies, including those involved in a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business (including accounts and trade receivables) and those involved in managing our corporate risk and funding functions (e.g. securitisation).
WangNET’s web sites
WangNET may use ‘cookies’ on various web sites. Cookies are an industry standard and most major websites use them. A cookie is a small text file that our web sites may place on your computer. Usually, cookies are used as a means for our web sites to remember your preferences. As such, cookies are designed to improve your experience of our web sites.
In some cases, cookies may collect and store personal information about you. WangNET extends the same privacy protection to your personal information, whether gathered via cookies or from other sources. You can adjust your Internet browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used. However, if you disable cookies, you may not be able to access certain areas of our web sites or take advantage of the improved web site experience that cookies offer.
WangNET also collects Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the internet to uniquely identify them within the global network. WangNET collects and manages IP addresses as part of the service of providing internet session management and for security purposes.
Help us to ensure we hold accurate information
WangNET takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That’s why we recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your personal information such as your name or address.
If you are a subscriber to one of our online products or services, you may change your personal details by using the relevant facility on WangNET’s web sites.
You can access your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let us know. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons.
WangNET reserves the right to charge a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
How to contact us
If you have any questions in relation to privacy, please contact us on 1300 650 889 between 9.00am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). Alternatively, you can write to us at 7A High St Wodonga, VIC 3690 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may obtain further updated information on privacy matters by revisiting this webpage from time to time.